A GUIDE TO ETHICAL REPORTING AND MEDIA
A team of journalists and filmmakers who regularly work on issues of conflict-related sexual violence (CRSV) wrote the guide “Reporting on Sexual Violence in Conflict” to prevent the kinds of issues found in the making of Sabaya.
This guide describes the following key principles in detail.
Ask 3 Foundational Questions:
1. Am I sufficiently prepared for this?
2. Should we be interviewing this person, in this time, and in this place?
3. Does my interviewee fully understand what they are signing up for?
Conduct 3 Essential Practices
1. Allow survivors to speak in their own way and in their own time.
2. Understand trauma’s continuing impact on memory and feelings of safety.
3. Understand how your own emotional wellbeing is part of this too.
Tell the Story Carefully